Home » Top Accounting Tutorials

Category Archives: Top Accounting Tutorials

The Best Sellers

COVID-19 Solutions & Effective Tips


The Greatest Emergency Virus Surviving 10 Steps Guide

Risk Responses COVID-19 Solutions


For Use When Travel FIRST AID KIT


Amazon Impress Gifts 50% Off HOLIDAYS&CHRISTMAS Only!


RSS Top Internet Today News

THE Best Sellers

Amazon Best Sellers

Arts & Entertainment

 Body Art
 Film & Television
 Magic Tricks


 Latin America
 Middle East
 Specialty Travel
 United States


 Individual Sports
 Martial Arts
 Other Team Sports
 Outdoors & Nature
 Racket Sports
 Water Sports
 Winter Sports
 Extreme Sports

Betting Systems

 Casino Table Games
 Horse Racing

Spirituality, New Age & Alternative Beliefs


Business / Investing

 Equities & Stocks
 Foreign Exchange
 International Business
 Management & Leadership
 Marketing & Sales
 Personal Finance
 Real Estate
 Small Biz / Entrepreneurship
 Careers, Industries & Professions

As Seen On TV

 Backyard Living
 Health and Beauty
 Kitchen Tools and Gadgets

E-business & E-marketing

 E-commerce Operations
 E-zine Strategies
 Email Marketing
 Market Research
 Niche Marketing
 Paid Surveys
 Pay Per Click Advertising
 Social Media Marketing
 Blog Marketing
 Video Marketing
 Classified Advertising
 Affiliate Marketing
 Article Marketing

Employment & Jobs

 Cover Letter & Resume Guides
 Job Listings
 Job Search Guides
 Job Skills / Training




 Console Guides & Repairs
 Strategy Guides

Green Products

 Alternative Energy
 Conservation & Efficiency

Computers / Internet

 System Analysis & Design
 Email Services
 Operating Systems
 System Administration
 Web Hosting
 Web Site Design

Cooking, Food & Wine

 Drinks & Beverages
 Regional & Intl.
 Special Diet
 Special Occasions
 Vegetables / Vegetarian
 Wine Making


 Sign Language


 Test Prep & Study Guides
 Student Loans
 Higher Education
 Educational Materials

Home & Garden

 Animal Care & Pets
 Crafts & Hobbies
 Gardening & Horticulture
 How-to & Home Improvements
 Interior Design


 Developer Tools

Health & Fitness

 Women's Health
 Spiritual Health
 Strength Training
 Dietary Supplements
 Dental Health
 Diets & Weight Loss
 Exercise & Fitness
 Men's Health
 Mental Health
 Sleep and Dreams

Software & Services

 3D Printing
 Internet Tools
 Anti Adware / Spyware
 Background Investigations
 Developer Tools
 Digital Photos
 Foreign Exchange Investing
 Graphic Design
 MP3 & Audio
 Operating Systems
 Other Investment Software
 Personal Finance
 Registry Cleaners
 Reverse Phone Lookup
 Screensavers & Wallpaper
 System Optimization
 Web Design


 Time Management
 Stress Management
 Dating Guides
 Eating Disorders
 Male Dating Guides
 Marriage & Relationships
 Motivational / Transformational
 Personal Finance
 Public Speaking
 Self Defense

Parenting & Families

 Pregnancy & Childbirth
 Special Needs


 Gay / Lesbian
 Catalogs & Directories
 Consumer Guides
 Law & Legal Issues
 The Sciences

Politics / Current Events


Estimate Your 2019 Tax Refund

Estimate Your 2019 Tax Refund

You can estimate your Tax Return by using our 2018 Tax Calculator below. This Tax Calculator will estimate high level details of your Tax Return and any potential Tax Refund, or Additional Taxes Owed. This Calculator is for Tax Year 2018 Tax Returns that will be filed in 2019.

Based on your information, it looks like you only have Social Security income and if this is correct, you generally will not owe taxes or get a refund and may not need to file a tax return.

Your Tax Deductions So Far

Let’s Continue

Let’s Keep Going!

Do These Taxes Apply To You?

You Qualify For The Following Tax Credits

You’re Almost Done!



Based on the information you entered, here are your results. You can see if you may get a Tax Refund or Owe Taxes on your 2018 Tax Return filed in 2019. If you have any questions about your results or about this Tax Calculator, please contact one of our Taxperts who can assist you.

As a result of the December 20, 2017 Tax Reform legislation, the following items will affect your Tax Year 2018 Tax Return:

Here are items from the current tax code that will not change: 

10% | $1 to $9,525
12% | $9,526 to $38,700
22% | $38,701 to $82,500
24% | $82,501 to $157,000
32% | $157,001 to $200,000
35% | $200,001 to $500,000
37% | over $500,000

10% | $1 to $19,050
12% | $19,051 to $77,400
22% | $77,401 to $165,000
24% | $165,001 to $315,000
32% | $315,001 to $400,000
35% | $400,001 to $600,000
37% | over $600,000

10% | $1 to $9,525
12% | $9,526 to $38,700
22% | $38,701 to $82,500
24% | $82,501 to $157,000
32% | $157,001 to $200,000
35% | $200,001 to $300,000
37% | over $300,000

10% | $1 to $13,600
12% | $13,601 to $51,800
22% | $51,801 to $82,500
24% | $82,501 to $157,500
32% | $157,501 to $200,000
35% | $200,001 to $500,000
37% | over $500,000

View the Latest Tax Reform Bill Introduced on December 15, 2017

View the First Tax Reform Bill Introduced on November 2, 2017

Still confused? We don’t blame you! To help you see the details of tax reform and how it might affect you, you can estimate your tax return with the above changes by using our 2018 Tax Reform Calculator at the top of this page.

1 The User Terms and Conditions for this efile.com Federal
Tax Return Tax Calculator and Tax Estimator constitutes your agreement to the following
This Tax Calculator is only an estimator
tax tool and should only be used to calculate and estimate your 2018 Tax Year or
2019 Tax Return Tax Refund or Liability. This Tax Calculator is not intended
as an online tax preparation tool for a Federal Income Tax Return. Please only use
this Tax Calculator as an estimator for your personal Tax Refund or Liability;
any other use is strictly prohibited. Tax Information entered into the efile.com
Tax Calculator is not stored or saved on a server or your computer’s disk drive,
nor is the tax data stored or transmitted anywhere else.

* Some of the deductions entered are applied to what
would be your itemized deduction. The calculator will display the itemized deduction
total if it is larger than the standard deduction.

2018 Tax Calculator

2017 Tax Calculator

2016 Tax Calculator

2015 Tax Calculator

2014 Tax Calculator

2013 Tax Calculator

2012 Tax Calculator

2011 Tax Calculator

2010 Tax Calculator

2009 Tax Calculator

2008 Tax Calculator

2007 Tax Calculator

Research & References of Estimate Your 2019 Tax Refund|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

Your Tax Support Request Order Taxpert Service   Details

Your Tax Support Request

Order Taxpert Service

Top Tax Questions/Answers:

1. Where is my IRS Tax Refund or State Tax Refund?
2. How do I find my 2017 AGI, required for the 2018 Tax Return?
3. How do I find my Username/Password?
4. How do I print a copy of my 2017 Tax Return?
5. How do I file an Amendment to my Tax Return?

“The lawyers made us put all this here just so we can help you. Isn’t this a bit much? Share your thoughts with us.”

This taxpert.com personal support page (including any attachments) contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION protected by federal and/or state law and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) designated as recipient(s).

The information contained within this personal support page should not be construed as tax advice. If you are not an intended recipient of this support page, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this support page is strictly prohibited. Disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient does not constitute a waiver of any applicable privilege. If you have received this support page in error, please immediately notify us by email: support@efile.com and then ask to have permanently deleted the original content of this page (including any attachments).

Research & References of Your Tax Support Request

Order Taxpert Service
Details|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

State Income Tax Return(s)

State Income Tax Return(s)

First important procedural point: You can only e-file one or more 2018 state tax return(s) in conjunction with a 2018 IRS or Federal Income tax return on efile.com. This is not an efile.com policy and a policy established by the IRS and all the state tax agencies. The reason for this policy is data verification and accuracy, since most of the tax data is shared by the Federal and the respective State Tax Agency.

Prepare and eFile My Return(s) Now

Second important work around point: Yes, you can prepare one or more 2018 state tax returns on efile.com, but you can only download, print, sign and mail the paper forms to the respective state tax agencies. Details on how to prepare state tax retun(s) on efile.com. For example, if you have already filed your federal return elsewhere and it has been accepted by the IRS, you can choose to prepare and file only your state return on efile.com. We strongly encourage you to also prepare and e-file your federal return on efile.com next year, that will make e-filing one or more state returns easier and cheaper for you.

Prepare and Mail-In My State Return(s) Only

Third, very important money saving point: Compared to H&R Block® or TurboTax® where you pay about $35 per state you prepare and efile, on efile.com you can prepare and efile as many states as you wish for one low price of $24.95. There is no limit to the amount of state tax returns you can prepare and file on efile.com. You can file resident, nonresident, and part-year resident returns for any state.

You may need to file a tax return for your resident state if your resident state collects income taxes. In general, you are required to file a part-year resident tax return for each state you lived in if: 

You generally need to file a nonresident tax return for each state in which you worked but did not reside. For example, if you lived in one state and worked in another, you will usually need to file a resident return for the state in which you lived and a nonresident return for the state in which you worked.

Here are other situations where you may need to file a nonresident state return: 

You do not generally have to file a return for the state where your employer is located unless you also work there. What matters is where you earned the income, not where your employer is based.

Why waste your time trying to find and download tax forms from multiple places? Efile.com has them all in one location for every state, commonwealth, and territory, as well as the District of Columbia. Simply click your state on the map below to find state tax forms supported by efile.com:

Remember that when you efile on efile.com, we will select and generate all the state forms you need based on the answers you give during your online interview.

H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc. TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.

Research & References of State Income Tax Return(s)|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

2018 Tax Calculators, Tools

2018 Tax Calculators, Tools

These calculators are for tax year 2018 (Jan – Dec. 2018) with an IRS income tax return due date of April 15, 2019 – find state deadlines here.

Get tax answers to important personal tax questions without having to read long and complicated tax documents. Estimate your 2018 income tax return now and find out what your federal tax refund will be or if you owe taxes.

Not sure who qualifies as a dependent? Use the DEPENDucator tool below and you will find out. This tool also calculates the tax credits you qualify for.

Research & References of 2018 Tax Calculators, Tools|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

Taxes on Ordinary and Qualified Dividends

Taxes on Ordinary and Qualified Dividends

Not sure how to handle your dividend information on your tax return? Let efile.com help once you answer a few simple questions, we will select the correct form(s) for you and assist you with filling them out. 

Read on for more information on the different types of dividends. 

The most common dividends are the distributions of profit that a corporation pays to its shareholders. Dividends are most frequently distributed as cash, but they may also come in the form of stocks, stock options, debt payments, property, or even services.

Payments from mutual funds may also be dividends. A mutual fund is an investment company that buys and sells assets to earn profit for itself and its investors. The portions of the profit passed on to investors are dividends, unless the assets were held long enough for the profits to be considered capital gains.

Partnerships and S-corporations may also pay out dividends. Some distributions from trusts and estates can also be considered dividends.

There are two types of dividends:

Ordinary dividends and qualified dividends each have different tax rates:

All dividends are taxable and all dividend income must be reported. If you received dividends totaling $10 or more from any entity, then you should receive a Form 1099-DIV stating the amount you received. If you received dividends from a trust, estate, or S-corporation, then you should also receive a Schedule K-1, which will tell you how much of the dividends are taxable to you.

If you don’t receive either form, but you did receive dividends in any amount, then you should still report your dividend income on your tax return.

Dividends reinvested to purchase stock are still taxable. 

Dividends are reported directly on Form 1040. If the ordinary dividends you received total more than $1,500, or if you received dividends that belong to someone else because you are a nominee, then you must also file Schedule B.

Reporting dividend income is easy when you prepare your return on efile.com. The online software will select the correct tax forms for you and make sure that they are filled out correctly.

Information on Capital Gains Taxes and Capital Loss Deductions

Use our Free Tax Tools including our Tax Calculator, to estimate your taxes or determine eligibility for credits.

Research & References of Taxes on Ordinary and Qualified Dividends|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

Capital Gains Tax and Capital Loss Deductions

Capital Gains Tax and Capital Loss Deductions

You hear the phrase capital gains a lot when people talk about selling a home, or selling stocks, or other investments – so what is it?  When you sell a piece of property or stocks and bonds, and you make a profit from the sale, the profit income that you make is called a capital gain, and it is considered taxable income by the IRS. The IRS taxes income from capital gains differently than regular income. How the capital gains are calculated and how much it is taxed can be confusing and difficult to understand.  Efile.com makes it easy for you. When you start a free tax return on efile.com, you don’t have to guess how to report your capital gains or whether or not you need to pay capital gains tax. Simply answer a few questions during the tax interview and we will prepare and complete the correct tax forms to calculate and report any capital gains tax (or losses) that is appropriate for you.

If you owned and lived in the home for two of the five years before you sold it and your filing status is Single, then up to $250,000 of the profit is tax-free, in other words no capital gains taxes. If you are married and file a joint return, the tax-free amount doubles to $500,000. You can exclude this amount from your taxable income. You cannot exclude the income if you already excluded income from another home sale in the 2 years before the sale of this home.

In summary, this will help you determine if you will pay taxes on the sale of your home:

At least 2 years in the last 5 years

Capital gains can be Short-Term or Long-Term:

To determine if the capital gain is Short-Term or Long-Term you count the number of days from the date you purchased the asset through and including the date you sold the asset.

If a capital gain is the money that you make on the sale of your home or investments, then the money you lose is called a capital loss, in other words, you made no profit from selling your asset. The capital loss can be deducted from your income, however there are some limits to this. You can deduct capital losses on investment property only, not on property that was owned for personal use. Losses on your investments are first used to offset capital gains of the same type. For example short-term losses are first deducted against short-term gains, and long-term losses are deducted against long-term gains. If your losses exceed your gains, you can deduct the difference on your tax return, up to $3,000 per year ($1,500 for those married filing separately) but they are not considered a regular itemized deduction. If your net loss is greater than the maximum allowed amount, you can carry the excess amount over to future tax years.

All capital gains and any capital losses are required to be reported on your tax return. Capital gains and losses are reported on Schedule D and the amounts are then reported on your Form 1040. Capital loss carryovers are reported using the Capital Gains Carryover Worksheet. When you prepare your return on efile.com, we will calculate the gains and losses and prepare the Schedule D for you and it will be efiled with the rest of your return.

For more information on capital gains and losses see IRS Publication – Investment Income and Expenses (Including Capital Gains and Losses).

Research & References of Capital Gains Tax and Capital Loss Deductions|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

What Is the Alternative Minimum Tax or AMT?

What Is the Alternative Minimum Tax or AMT?

The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) gives an alternative set of rules to calculate your taxable income. These rules determine the minimum amount of income tax that a person at a certain income level should be required to pay. If your regular tax liability falls below the AMT amount, you will have to pay the difference as additional Alternative Minimum Tax.

When you prepare your tax return on efile.com, we will automatically calculate any AMT based on your answers to several tax questions.

Register For Your 2018 Tax Return Now!

The AMT is a parallel tax system that Congress created as part of the Tax Reform Act of 1969. The original purpose of the AMT was to target a small number of high-income taxpayers who claim many credits and deductions and end up owing little or no income tax. The AMT was intended to keep the tax system as fair as possible and to ensure that all Americans pay at least a minimum amount of income taxes.

You may have to pay some AMT if your adjusted income is greater than the AMT exemption amount for your filing status.

The problem with the AMT is that is was not indexed for inflation when it was introduced, and a number of middle-income taxpayers were subject to the AMT each year. In past years, Congress usually “patched” the AMT by raising the exemption amounts. Starting in 2013, the AMT was indexed for inflation.

For Tax Year 2018, the AMT exemption amounts are:

Income that is subject to the AMT will be taxed at a rate of 26% for the first $191,100 of AMT taxable income, and at a rate of 28% for any amount of AMT taxable income above $191,100.

The AMT rules require taxpayers to calculate their tax liability the normal way, and then to calculate it again based on the AMT rules. Any amount of income over the applicable AMT exemption amount may be taxed at the AMT rates. You can use nonrefundable credits to decrease the AMT that you owe.

efile.com tax will determine if you are subject to the AMT, as well as calculate your tax for you. We will select the appropriate forms for your tax return. Efiling gets your tax refund to you faster and greatly reduces the chances of making an error on the AMT or other tax calculations.

Research & References of What Is the Alternative Minimum Tax or AMT?|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

Self-Employed, Independent Contractor Return

Self-Employed, Independent Contractor Return

Regardless of your W-2 income or your filing status, if you earned a net income of $400 or more from self-employment during the year, then you are required to file a tax return. Net self-employment income is your income after deducting allowable expenses. See the tax filing requirements. As a self-employed taxpayer, you will file your return on a Form 1040, and you will generally need to attach Schedule C (or Schedule C-EZ) and Schedule SE to your return. Whether you are an independent contractor or a statutory employee, efile.com makes it easy to prepare and efile your tax return. We will select the appropriate forms for you and help you fill them out correctly, then perform all calculations with 100% accuracy.

There are a few special cases where, even though you fit the definition of an independent contractor, you are considered a statutory employee (an employee by statute) for tax purposes. If you are a statutory employee, your employer is not responsible for withholding income taxes from your pay, but Social Security and Medicare taxes will be withheld.

To be considered a statutory employee, all 3 of the following statements must be true:

As a statutory employee, you will generally receive a W-2 efile it from your employer. You must file your return on a Form 1040 efile it, and you will need to use Schedule C (or Schedule C-EZ) to report your income and expenses. You will not need to worry about Schedule SE, because your employer will have withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes from your pay.

As a self-employed taxpayer, you will need to prepare your tax return using Form 1040 efile it. When you prepare your return on efile.com and indicate that you are self-employed, generally, you will also be directed to fill out one or more Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ to be included with your tax return. The Schedule SE will be automatically generated for you. When you efile, you must fill out all of the information for a Schedule C. If the Schedule C is simple enough and meets IRS requirements, a Schedule C-EZ will be automatically generated by efile.com.

If you had $108.28 or more in church employee income, then you must pay self-employment tax. Church employee income is income received from a church or church-controlled organization, not including income paid to ministers or members of religious orders.

If you are a minister (or priest, rabbi, etc.), a member of a religious order NOT under a vow of poverty, or a Christian Science practitioner, and you have a conscientious objection to Social Security insurance, you may exempt your net earnings from self-employment tax by filing Form 4361.

Under certain circumstances, if you have a conscientious objection to Social Security because of your membership in a religious sect, you may be able to exempt your net income from self-employment tax by filing Form 4029.

If you were self-employed, you may be able to deduct the cost of health insurance premiums you paid for a child of yours who was under age 27 at the end of 2018. Find out more about this tax deduction for parents.

Special tax rules for newscarriers, babysitters, ministers/clergy/members of religious orders, and qualified joint ventures. If you work as a newspaper delivery person, paperboy (or girl), or newscarrier, you are usually considered self-employed if:

If you meet all of the above requirements, then you are generally considered self-employed. Even if you are under age 18, you will have to pay into Social Security and Medicare by paying self-employment tax.

If you are under age 18 and you do not meet all of the above requirements, then you generally do not have to pay self-employment tax.

Babysitters and in-home child-care providers are generally self-employed and subject to self-employment tax.

If you are a babysitter and you perform work in your home or in the homes of your clients, and you substantially control the manner in which you do your job, then you are most likely self-employed.

A Nanny, au pair, or other child-care provider that lives in their client’s home, and that does not control the manner in which they perform their work, may be a household employee.

If you receive salaries, fees, allowances, or other compensation (housing, food) for doing work as a minister or member of a religious order, you generally have to pay self-employment tax on your income.

You may exempt your ministerial income from self-employment tax if you file Form 4361 and you receive an approval from the IRS. Income derived from other sources may still be subject to self-employment tax.

In general, a husband and wife who jointly own an unincorporated business must file taxes for the business as a partnership. But partnership tax returns and recordkeeping can get very complicated. So the IRS has made an exception.

If a husband and wife are the only members of a joint venture (a fancy name for a business owned by two or more people), then they may agree together to elect for their business NOT to be treated as a partnership for federal tax purposes. Instead, it will be a Qualified Joint Venture. Now the couple files a joint tax return and prepares a separate Schedule C for each spouse, taking into account each spouse’s share of income and loss derived from the business, as if they were each a sole proprietor.

Only couples that are Married Filing Jointly can elect for their business to be a Qualified Joint Venture. Corporations and LLC’s do not qualify for this election.

Research & References of Self-Employed, Independent Contractor Return|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

Student Education Tax Credits

Student Education Tax Credits

There are two major education tax credits available to students to help offset the costs of higher education: The American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit. Tax credits are frequently more valuable than tax deductions because credits reduce your tax bill dollar-for-dollar, while deductions only reduce your taxable income.

Of the two education credits currently available, the American Opportunity Credit is the most valuable. The American Opportunity Credit is an expanded version of the Hope Credit. Here is what you need to know about the American Opportunity Credit:

If you, your spouse, or your dependent do not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, you may still be able to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit. Here is what you need to know about this education credit:

You cannot claim both the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Credit for the same student in the same year, but you can claim one credit for one student and the other credit for another student.

Example: You could claim the American Opportunity Credit for each of your two children, and also claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for yourself and for your spouse. Or you could claim the American Opportunity Credit for all four of you, if you all qualified. But you can’t claim both credits for the same person in the same year.

Remember that the American Opportunity Credit is generally the more valuable tax credit, but it is only good for the first four years of higher education, and has stricter enrollment requirements. If you qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, you can claim it any number of years (but there is a tighter income restriction). When you prepare your return on efile.com, we will help you to know which education credit or deduction you qualify for, and which one will be the most beneficial to you. We will then generate the correct forms for you in order to claim the education credit or deduction(s) with your return.

Review our student tax guide.

See an overview of student tax benefits you may qualify to claim on your tax return.

Learn about tax deductions for students.

Find out about tax-free college savings plans.

Learn about other tax credits and tax deductions you may qualify to claim on your return.

Use our free tax tools to calculate taxes or determine eligibility for certain tax credits.

Research & References of Student Education Tax Credits|A&C Accounting And Tax Services

What Is The Child Tax Credit?

What Is The Child Tax Credit?

Here are some important facts about the Child Tax Credit:

Our KIDucator tax educator tool will help you find out if you are eligible to claim the Child Tax Credit on your tax return. This is a multi-year tool so you can use it for previous years’ tax returns as well!

Find out if your child qualifies you for the Child Tax Credit!

To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, you must have a child or dependent who meets all of the following requirements:

The child must have been 16 or younger on December 31 of the tax year.

The child must be a United States citizen, a United States national, or a resident alien.

The child must be claimed as a dependent on your tax return.

The child must be related to you in one of the following ways: son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, grandchild, niece, or nephew. This includes any legally adopted child, any child lawfully placed with you in preparation for adoption, and any foster child lawfully placed in your care.

The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year (stayed with you for at least 183 nights). Temporary absences for special circumstances are generally acceptable, and special rules may apply if you are divorced or for certain other circumstances. For more details, please see Publication 972, Child Tax Credit.

The child must NOT have provided more than half of his or her own financial support for the year.

The Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) is a refundable credit that you may receive if your Child Tax Credit is greater than the total amount of income taxes you owe, as long as you had an earned income of less than $2,500. For 2018 returns, the ACTC is worth $1,400.

Form 1040 (Schedule 8812) efile it, Additional Child Tax Credit, is used to figure out if you qualify for the credit and to calculate the amount of the credit you will receive. Efile.com will do all required math and generate the form for you when you prepare your return.

For more information on the Child Tax Credit, please consult Publication 972 – Child Tax Credit.

For 2018, the Child Tax Credit is at least partially refundable if you had an earned income of less than $2,500. This refundable portion is not available to taxpayers with earned income above $2,500. Partially refundable means that some of the credit is nonrefundable and some is refundable and the amounts will be reported in two separate sections of your return. A nonrefundable credit means that the credit cannot be used to increase your tax refund or to create a tax refund when you don’t already have one. Refundable tax credits, on the other hand, are treated as payments of tax you made during the year. When the total of these credits is greater than the tax you owe, the IRS sends you a tax refund for the difference.

Only one taxpayer (or married couple filing jointly) may claim any one child for the purposes of the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit. If a child is claimed as a dependent on more than one tax return, the IRS will determine who gets the claim according to a set of tiebreaker rules.

Learn what happens when a child is claimed by more than one person as a dependent.

Here are other ways you can save taxes on raising children: 

When you prepare your tax return on efile.com, we will automatically check to see if you qualify for the Child Tax Credit. If you qualify for the credit, the exact amount will be calculated for you. We will select the right form and fill it out in order for you to get your maximum credit amount.

See what other tax credits and tax deductions may be available to you.

Research & References of What Is The Child Tax Credit?|A&C Accounting And Tax Services